DDSB – Area Supervisor of Psychological Services
Play a key role in student success across Durham District School Board (DDSB) by providing leadership, support and expertise to an assigned portfolio of elementary and secondary schools.
Psychological Services at our Board is a progressive, dynamic department offering consultation, assessment and direct services for students in both elementary and secondary public schools across Durham Region. Psychological Services functions in a collaborative service model with educators and members of other professional groups. This exciting career opportunity calls for a registered Psychologist with sound training and experience in Applied Psychology (e.g., Clinical, School) and experience in providing supervision to unregistered Psychology staff.
Reporting to the Chief of Psychological Services and the Superintendent of Special Education, you will provide consultation, assessment and direct services to students, schools and families to promote the successful educational performance of students, along with providing crisis response to staff and students as needed. As an Area Supervisor of Psychological Services, you will also provide capacity building (professional development) to educational staff and other professional and/or community groups, as well as administrative supervision to Psychological Services staff who offer services within families of schools. Another key aspect of your role will be providing clinical supervision to unregistered Psychological Services staff to ensure high-quality professional standards and ethical practices.
More specifically, as an Area Supervisor of Psychological Services, you will:
- Assume responsibilities for Psychological Services that are connected to designated elementary and secondary schools.
- Ensure appropriate supervision of Psychological Services staff in the area of schools assigned.
- Provide consultation to administrators, teachers, educational staff and parents.
- Provide appropriate assessment and/or intervention strategies to support students with a variety of needs (e.g., mental health, behavioural, learning, developmental, social), in keeping with best practice guidelines and DDSB assessment models.
- Provide direct services (e.g., brief therapy) to students, in keeping with best practice guidelines.
- Respond in a timely manner when crises occur, either directly or through supervision, using both best practice models of crisis intervention and Board protocols as directed (e.g., ASIST, VTRA).
- Provide support to Special Education classes, as needed.
- Present professional development to educators and parents, in consultation with the Chief of Psychological Services.
- Participate on Board and community committees, and perform other related duties, as assigned by the Chief of Psychological Services.
Your profile as a qualified Area Supervisor of Psychological Services will include:
- Master’s or Doctorate in Applied Psychology, e.g., Clinical or School Psychology.
- Registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario.
- Experience with school-aged children, youth and their families;
- Experience in best practice models of standardized assessment, Applied Behaviour Analysis, diagnostic assessment, school-based consultation, and individual and/or group therapy or counselling.
- Experience providing clinical supervision of staff, particularly Psychometrists.
- Skills in working in a collaborative framework with other professionals, e.g., Educators, Social Workers, Speech and Language Pathologists.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with educational and other systems, as well as the appropriate legislation and/or practices therein.
- Familiarity with the standards of professional practice which govern the provision of Psychological Services in the province of Ontario.
Salary range: $99,395.00 – $110,441.00 per annul
The Durham District School Board (DDSB) is responsible for public education in the rural settings of Uxbridge, Brock and Scugog Townships and the urban settings of Ajax, Whitby, Pickering and Oshawa. The DDSB accommodates a school population of nearly 70,000 students, through 131 elementary and secondary schools and learning centers.
To apply online for Posting # 2180216, by 4:30 p.m., Friday, December 22, 2017, please visit the Vacancies section of our website at www.ddsb.ca by choosing Educational Services under Employment.
The Durham District School Board is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment and hiring of qualified staff who reflect the diversity of our Region. We encourage submissions from candidates who represent the various dimensions of diversity.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.