Become a Member
We welcome new members, returning members, and renewing members. In addition to advocacy on issues that affect master’s-prepared providers of psychological services, our members have access to exclusive benefits, and collegial support in their professional pursuits. We welcome your interest in our advocacy activities, in our support of access to psychological services for all who need them, and in the benefits we offer to members.
If you are a Psychological Associate or a Psychologist registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario on the basis of your master’s degree and your professional experience, you are eligible to become a member of OAPA.
If you are seeking to become registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, and are in the process of fulfilling the requirements for the title Psychological Associate or Psychologist with master’s-level graduate training, you may be eligible for interim membership with OAPA.
If you are a student enrolled in a master’s program in psychology, you may be eligible for membership in OAPA as well.
If you have retired from the College of Psychologists of Ontario, either as a Psychological Associate or a master’s-prepared Psychologist, you are eligible for membership in OAPA.
- Benefits reserved to OAPA Members
OAPA members benefit from a number of important services and privileges.
- Members are eligible for a professional liability insurance plan at a preferential rate. The plan meets all the requirements of the College of Psychologists of Ontario. The insurer, McFarlan Rowlands Insurance Brokers has recognized OAPA for its members’ “outstanding claims performance … which is primarily due to the high level of professionalism of its members.”(McFarlan Rowlands letter dated August 4, 2011).
- As an association, OAPA provides advocacy and accurate information regarding the professional credentials and skills of its members, to the provincial and federal governments, to insurers, to the media, to other professions and even within professional psychology.
- Members benefit from support and advocacy from OAPA if they encounter inappropriate obstacles to client service based on such issues as title or eligibility for insurance coverage.
- Members acquire privileged and secure access to OAPA’s internet Noticeboard on which the Board of Directors sends out important information and updates about important issues affecting master’s-prepared providers of psychological services.
- Members receive special notification of province-wide employment opportunities open to master’s-prepared psychological service providers.
- Members benefit from a preferential rate for OAPA’s annual professional development conference.
- Members acquire access to secure member-only professional discussion areas in the secure members’ area of the OAPA website. They may seek collegial advice from other members, enter discussion of professional issues with colleagues across the province, or tap into colleagues’ knowledge of resources for clients in any region.
As an association, OAPA liaises with the College of Psychologists of Ontario and with the Ontario Psychological Association, as well as with other professional organisations, promoting collegial communication, fairness, and respectful recognition of the role of master’s-prepared providers in professional psychology.
- Membership Types
Four categories of membership have eligibility requirements and bring member privileges:
Membership Type Requirements Privileges Full Member Open to Psychological Associates and master’s-prepared Psychologists registered and in good standing with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. May be registered for Autonomous practice or for Supervised Practice. Eligible for OAPA professional liability insurance plan at preferential rates.Eligible to run for office on the Board of Directors of OAPA. May attend and vote at the OAPA Annual General Meeting. Interim Member Open to Master’s-level graduates whose academic preparation has been approved by the College of Psychologists, and who are in the process of completing the requirements for registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Copy of Registration Committee approval, and copy of supervision agreement required. Eligible for the OAPA professional liability insurance plan at preferential rates, through McFarland-Rowlands insurers, if being supervised by a Psychological Associate or a Psychologist.May attend the OAPA Annual General Meeting. Student Member Open to students enrolled in a graduate program in psychology. Proof of enrollment required. Eligible for the OAPA professional liability insurance plan if being supervised by a Psychological Associate or a Psychologist.May attend the OAPA Annual General Meeting. Retired Member Open to Psychological Associates and master’s-prepared Psychologists on the retired register of the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Eligible for the OAPA professional liability insurance plan at a greatly reduced rate.Eligible to run for office on the Board of Directors of OAPA.May attend and vote at the OAPA Annual General Meeting.
All members in good standing are given access to the secure member area of the OAPA website, and benefit from on-line collegial advice, referral and employment opportunities, and discussion of professional issues.
- Annual Membership Fees
The membership year for OAPA is from September 1st to August 31st. New full members enjoy a special reduced rate during their first year. Aside from the new member benefit, there is no pro-rating of fees for those members who may join.
Membership Fees for 2019-2020 are as follows:
Membership category Fee First-time Full Member $ 175.00 Full Member, regular annual fee $ 210.00 Interim Member $ 135.00 Retired Member $ 135.00 Student Member $ 135.00 Late Renewal Fee $ 40.00 NSF Fee for bad cheques $ 35.00
To apply to become a member of OAPA, or if you are a returning member whose membership has lapsed for more than 1 year, please visit our Apply for OAPA Membership section.
Current members of OAPA wishing to renew their membership should first log in to the site using the link in the upper left of the screen, and then proceed to the Member section of this website: Membership renewal