Professional Liability Insurance
i. General information
Three types of insurance are available from our insurance provider, McFarlan Rowlands Insurance Brokers.
- Malpractice/Errors & Omissions Liability
Covers the investigation and defence against any civil action brought against the insured. This includes payment of all sums which the insured is legally obligated to pay as a result of liability for personal injuries arising out of rendering or failure to render professional services.
- Commercial General Liability
Extends coverage for bodily injury, personal injury and property damage to others for which the insured is legally liable. The coverage provides protection for non-professional liability exposures associated with serving clients.
- Disciplinary Hearing
Provides coverage for legal expenses incurred as a result of any hearing instituted under the provisions of any provincial discipline legislation or for faculty members of an educational institution who face disciplinary action.
Details from McFarlan Rowlands:
ii. Information specific to the OAPA Liability Insurance Program
Administered by: McFarlan Rowlands Insurance Brokers
Sponsored by: Ontario Association of Psychological Associates
The professional liability insurance program is available to eligible members of the Ontario Association of Psychological Associates. In order to participate in this professional liability insurance program applicants must be employed in Canada and be a registered Psychological Associate or Psychologist with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, or a Master’s-prepared member in the process of fulfilling the requirements for membership with the College. Participants must maintain their OAPA membership to continue or renew their insurance coverage.
Premiums are collected by MCFARLAN ROWLANDS INSURANCE BROKERS LTD. The master policy is on file at the O.A.P.A. office and the Broker’s office. Each participating member will receive a certificate of insurance directly from the Broker.
Immediate notification of possible claim must be made to the Broker, McFarlan Rowlands Insurance Brokers Limited, London, Ontario or to the Insurer, The Lombard General Insurance Company of Canada, Toronto, Ontario.
- Malpractice Liability Insurance
Option 1: $1,000,000 each claim, $3,000,000 aggregate in any one year
Option 2: $2,000,000 each claim, $6,000,000 aggregate in any one year
The policy provides coverage for the professional activities of O.A.P.A. members while working in Canada. Professional Liability Insurance covers the investigation and defence against any civil action brought against you including payment of all sums which you may be legally obligated to pay as a result of liability for personal injuries arising out of rendering professional services.
- Disciplinary Hearing Coverage
The policy includes $30,000 Disciplinary Hearing Insurance and provides coverage for legal expenses incurred as a result of any hearing instituted under the provisions of any provincial discipline legislation. There is a $750.00 deductible applicable to this coverage.
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
The limit will correspond to the malpractice limit.
The policy also includes Commercial General Liability with coverage extended for bodily injury, personal injury and property damage to others for whom you are legally liable. The coverage provides protection for members for non-professional liability exposures associated with serving clients. For example, the liability for clients falling and being injured on your premises or in your office. It has been extended to include such coverages as libel, slander, wrongful eviction and defamation. As many members rent or lease premises the policy also includes Tenants Legal Liability. There is a $500.00 deductible on the property damage and tenant’s legal liability portions of this coverage.
- All members of O.A.P.A. employed in Canada may enroll.
- Provides additional coverage over employer-related plans. Coverage provided through your place of employment may not cover all circumstances and conditions provided under the policy.
- Reasonable expenses in assisting the insurance company in defence of a claim against you are also covered.
- The malpractice and disciplinary hearing coverages are written on a claims- made form and hence provides coverage for claims reported during the policy period.
- The Commercial General Liability is written on an occurrence form providing coverage for claims, which occur during the policy period.
- Malpractice and General Liability Coverage is designed to defend a claim, action or suit against the individual insured including legal fees and court costs.
- Group Rated Premiums.
- Efficient claims procedure, investigation and defence of a claim.
- Reduced rates for retired participants.
- Pro Bono Legal Advice Hotline
- Provided through Bell, Temple: 1-888-263-8600. When you call please let them know that you are a McFarlan Rowlands insurance policy holder. We have access to a 30 minute pro bono consultation. When you are connected with the lawyer he or she will ask for your Policy, which is generic to the OAPA and is 554705940. You will also be asked to provide your certificate number which is on your insurance document, right under the policy number.
For more information, contact:
Barristers & Solicitors
1300 – 393 University Ave
Toronto, ON, M5G 1E6
For more information, click: McFarlan Rowlands Insurance Brokers, or contact:
McFarlan Rowlands Insurance Brokers
380 York Street
London ON N6B 1P9
Telephone: (519) 679-5440
Toll-Free: (877) 679-5440
Fax: (519) 679-9744