About Psychological Service Providers

When people seek help for a situation that has intellectual, emotional or relationship-based elements, the array of service providers who claim to offer help may be confusing. When might you want to consult a Psychological Associate or a Psychologist rather than a counselor, a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist? Would it be more appropriate to go to a psychological service or to an Employee Assistance Program, a school guidance office, or to a family health team?

This section offers information about which services are psychological in nature, how Psychological Associates and Psychologists are trained, what guarantees exist to ensure that their services are offered appropriately, and where you may find them.